This page is official Halo Fanon Wiki policy.
Because Halo Fanon is a wiki, most users are able to edit most articles. However, because this is not a place to store information that is already given elsewhere, as in a compilation or encyclopedia, and rather a collection of creative ideas of many authors, the original views of an individual's fanon universe should be held in respect. There are a few "dos" and "don'ts" in Halo Fanon editing, and this page attempts to list the community's views as demonstrated through their contributions.
You should only edit another person's article if
- You created another article under a similar or identical name and you want to "disambiguate" the pages.
- You are categorizing the article, either by placing a template or adding the category.
- You are correcting spelling, grammar or punctuation.
- You are reverting vandalism.
- You have permission from the original author to edit their page in any way.
You should not
- Add your own ideas to an article you did not create that does not have a free-edit template without the author's permission.
- Take away some of the information the article, despite what you think about its flow and accuracy.
- Make any deliberate attempts to deface the article or user. (This is also known as vandalism.)
- Add a writer template to someone else's page, unless you are an administrator or site patroller.
How do deal with another person editing your page
- Assume good faith if another user edits your page.
- If you do not approve of the edit, simply revert the edit and state in the edit box the reason for the revert.
- Don't try to use copyright law to forbid another user from editing your article. All content here is submitted under GFDL and Creative Commons, and by editing Halo Fanon, you agree to these redistribution and editing liberties. Because Wikia's servers are in Florida, all copyright laws that may regard this site in some way are Florida state law and United States national law. Don't submit the entirety of a copyrighted work here, because it may not qualify as fair use.