- "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
The Halo Fanon IRC channel, better known as The Irk, is the central hub of communication for users on this site. Even on what seems like slow days on the site with little to no edits, there will almost certainly be one or two users available. The majority of non-crucial article discussion, debates on the Haloverse and general conversation occurs there too. While the Halo Fanon Wiki has had a great many users come and go over the years, it's a generally accepted fact that people who become Irk regulars generally become better editors and go far on the site.
Follow the instructions below to learn how to access our IRC channel.
Accessing the channel
If you have an IRC client;
If you do not have an IRC client;
To download a free IRC client, try one of the following recommended links. The network used by Halo Fanon is called "Freenode".
- (Firefox users only)
Please follow these while on the #Halo-Fanon IRC Channel. Breaking rules will be dealt with at the current Op's discretion.
- No banning/removing/autoremoving/muting users for no reason .
- No kickwars/banwars - take them to #kickwars and #banwars.
- Browser wars are prohibited. Take them to #browserwars.
- Keep discussions about politics to a bare minimum, unless it has something to do with the topic at hand. Take political arguments to #uncyclopedia.
- Do not remove autoremovals or bans without discussion unless someone has autoremoved or banned a channel operator.
- Assume good faith.
- Use your real username while on the channel. It is strongly recommended that you . Varying nicks are permitted (see ), but all users should use their site usernames, or a close variation/abbreviation as their registered IRC name.
- Permission is not required in order to archive, i.e. "quoting", conversations in public channels. It is, however, required in personal/private channels/messages.
- No cursing to be used offensively, i.e. personal attacks. Keep it civil and mature.
- No spamming, flooding, mass posting etc. Use or a wiki page to post logs longer than five lines.
List of IRC Commands
A list of the most commonly used commands on the IRC. The green text indicates the variables.
- Join channel: /join #CHANNEL
- Leave channel: /part MESSAGE
- Exit IRC: /quit MESSAGE
- Action: /me ACTION
- Change name: /nick NAME
- Send memo: /msg memoserv send NAME MESSAGE
- Clear text (does not affect others): /clear
- Register account: /ns register PASSWORD EMAIL
- Log in: /ns identify PASSWORD
- Register extra name: (using desired name while logged in) /ns group
- Unregister extra name: (using desired name while logged in) /ns ungroup
- Disconnect registered/grouped user: /ns ghost NAME
- Activate operator status: /cs op #CHANNEL
- Deactivate operator status: /mode -o NAME
- Voice user: /mode +v NAME
- Devoice user: /mode -v NAME
- Boot user: /kick NAME MESSAGE
- Ban user: /mode +b NAME/HOST
- Mute user: /mode +q NAME/HOST
- Mute channel: /mode +m
Users with operator status on #halo-fanon and their corresponding operator's access privileges number.
The full-time channel operators, reserved mostly for Halo Fanon's administrators.
- Ajax 013 — Bureaucrat and Channel Contact
- Brodie-001 — Bureaucrat and Channel Contact
- Actene — Administrator
- Ahalosniper — Administrator
- Lordofmonsterisland — Administrator
- Nicmavr — Technical Op (also known as "Kestrel-029")
Other users who are trusted with operator flags and are given +o flags in times of need.
- Anonymous ONI agent — Site Patroller
- slowfuture — Site Patroller
- Lieutenant Davis — Site Patroller (also known as "Colin_Davis")
- LoyalHaloFan — Site Patroller (also known as "LHF")
- Minuteman 2492 — Site Patroller
- Revan180193 — Site Patroller
- Sev40 — Site Patroller
- ↑ Actually an excerpt from The New Colossus, by Emma Lazarus.