Here at Halo Fanon, we have two main chat systems for our users to easily interact with each other outside of talk page messages and forum/blog posts: Discord or the Internet Relay Chat (IRC). These act as the central hubs of communication for users on this site. Even on what seems like slow days on the site with little to no edits, there will almost certainly be one or two users available.
The majority of non-crucial article discussion, debates on the Haloverse and general conversation occurs there too. While the Halo Fanon Wiki has had a great many users come and go over the years, it's a generally accepted fact that people who become Irk regulars generally become better editors and go far on the site.
A more recent addition to our site, Halo Fanon's Discord app is easily accessible via the connect option seen on our site's sidebar on many pages, or via this link. There are multiple channels available for users and a voice chat option as well, making it useful for organising online gaming sessions between users.
Multiple channels have been provided on our Discord chat for site members to use:
- #irk_pub - The general chat.
- #announcements - Important site news and updates.
- #rp-planning - For organizing and coordinating RPs.
- #off-topic - Discussion not related to the site, image/video links that aren't spam and general fun.
- #story_brainstorming-and-lore - Story ideas, writing assistance, and Halo lore discussion. Weekly prompts will also be pinned here regularly.
- #cars-mech-and-sometimes-tech - For technical discussion on cars and other machinery.
The Halo Fanon IRC channel, better known as The Irk, was our site's most prominent method of communication until Discord came along and was been a source of most conversation on Halo Fanon for many years. It is now primarily used to conduct RP's, though general discussion still occurs there.
Follow the instructions below to learn how to access our IRC channel.
Accessing the channel
If you have an IRC client;
If you do not have an IRC client;
To download a free IRC client, try one of the following recommended links. The network used by Halo Fanon is called "Freenode".
- (Firefox users only)
List of IRC Commands
A list of the most commonly used commands on the IRC. The green text indicates the variables.
- Join channel: /join #CHANNEL
- Leave channel: /part MESSAGE
- Exit IRC: /quit MESSAGE
- Action: /me ACTION
- Change name: /nick NAME
- Send memo: /msg memoserv send NAME MESSAGE
- Clear text (does not affect others): /clear
- Register account: /ns register PASSWORD EMAIL
- Log in: /ns identify PASSWORD
- Register extra name: (using desired name while logged in) /ns group
- Unregister extra name: (using desired name while logged in) /ns ungroup
- Disconnect registered/grouped user: /ns ghost NAME
- Activate operator status: /cs op #CHANNEL
- Deactivate operator status: /mode -o NAME
- Voice user: /mode +v NAME
- Devoice user: /mode -v NAME
- Boot user: /kick NAME MESSAGE
- Ban user: /mode +b NAME/HOST
- Mute user: /mode +q NAME/HOST
- Mute channel: /mode +m
Please follow these while on the #Halo-Fanon IRC Channel or Discord. Breaking rules will be dealt with at the current Administrator's discretion.
- No banning/removing/autoremoving/muting users for no good reason.
- Do not post clearly NSFW material in the main chat. Our Discord does have a #off-topic channel for anything you'd rather not post in the main chat, but try to keep it clean nonetheless.
- Keep discussions about politics to a bare minimum, unless it has something to do with the topic at hand. Take political arguments to PM so others don't have to suffer through them. This generally applies to the discussion of more recent events, belief systems and other contentious groups or issues that may cause unwanted debate. We're a Halo site, not a political soapbox.
- Do not remove autoremovals or bans without discussion unless someone has autoremoved or banned a channel operator.
- Assume good faith.
- Permission is not required in order to archive, i.e. "quoting", conversations in public channels. It is, however, required in personal/private channels/messages.
- No cursing to be used offensively, i.e. personal attacks. Keep it civil and mature.
- No spamming, flooding, mass posting etc. Use or a wiki page to post logs longer than five lines.
Users with operator status on the IRC and Discord and their corresponding operator's access privileges number.
The full-time channel operators, reserved mostly for Halo Fanon's administrators.
- Ajax 013 — Bureaucrat and Channel Contact
- Brodie-001 — Bureaucrat and Channel Contact
- Actene — Administrator
- Ahalosniper — Administrator
- Lordofmonsterisland — Administrator
- Nicmavr — Technical Op (also known as "Kestrel-029", IRC only)
Other users who are trusted with operator flags and are given +o flags in times of need.
- Anonymous ONI agent — Site Patroller
- Lieutenant Davis — Site Patroller (also known as "Colin_Davis")
- Minuteman 2492 — Site Patroller
- Revan180193 — Site Patroller
- Sev40 — Site Patroller