|This article, James-319, was written by Spartan 501. Please do not edit this fiction without the writer's permission.|
|This article, James-319, is currently under active construction.|
- "If you can‘t laugh at life, you don‘t deserve to be alive."
Petty Officer Second Class James-319 (full name James Anders Kim at birth, also known by the designations Sierra-Three-One-Nine and Codename: CRIMSON THREE) was a highly advanced computer hacker and demolition specialisst of the UNSC Navy during the last days of the Human-Covenant War as a SPARTAN-II Commando of Project ARES, the third class of the SPARTAN-II Program, serving in the Special Operations Detachment Crimson Team. Taking part of several notable battles during the war, including the Siege of Paris IV, the Battle of Sigma Octanus IV, the Battle of Earth, and the Battle of Dosiac, he was badly injured on Sigma Octanus and was forced to spend several months aboard the UNSC Hopeful in recovery before being redployed for the Inner Colony liberations, eventually meeting his end during the Battle of Dosiac.
Born on the inner colony world of Draco Three, Jame‘s life early life was tumultuous. Born to a pair of illegal refugees, his family lived off the grid and floated from job to job, looking for any work they could find. Growing in this troubled environment, James quickly developed the ability to laugh at life, a defense system to block out his problems. When he was four, however, his parents were killed in a freak packbus accident, and James was left an orphan. This event, though traumatizing for the young child, eventually changed his life in ways he could never imagine.
Living in an orphanage, James was finally put on the grid, and it was the medical scans he underwent during this time that brought him to the attention of Captain Griffin Standoff, a navy liaison for the newly conceived ARES Program. In 2540, the young orphan was interviewed by the officer, and in the following weeks, agents of the [[w:c:halo:Office of Naval Intelligence|Office of Naval Intelligence] ]forcibly abducted him from his temporary home, faking an adoption deal and transporting him to secret COG Training grounds on Tantalus.
Arriving on the planet, James was introduced to his new life as a potential SPARTAN-II Supersoldier, and was immediately placed in Crimson Team, alongside Roger-341, Mica-311, Maggie-327, and Jacob-303. Under the watchful eye of his primary instructor, Laszlo-108, and the program’s head DI, Dean Jackson, James and his teammates would strive to become the best soldiers possible, pushing themselves to their limits and becoming one of the top rated teams in the program. After the completion of eight years of grueling training in 2548, James and his fellow trainees underwent augmentation, becoming true SPARTANs but taking 40% losses. In the end, two members of Crimson, Maggie-327 and Jacob-303, both met their demise and was reformed into a three man team.
Following their graduation, Crimson was deployed into the field, heading to the far reaches of UNSC space to combat the Covenant Empire in their ongoing crusade against humanity. Deployed to the outermost remaining colonies, Crimson saw action in theatres such as Omega Indi, Pearl III, Cyrus VII, and Algol, fighting against increasingly long odds in a desperate struggle to hold back the alien horde.
In late December of 2549, Crimson’s chances would improve when they recovered several suits of experimental MJOLNIR Mark V(CQC), Mark V(B) and Mark V/MP Armor . Procuring the suits without ONI’s permission, they pulled favors with their former commander Colonel Griffin Standoff and were allowed to keep their suits, allowing them to be equipped and deployed as “true” SPARTANs. With the advanced new armor augmenting their abilities, Crimson Team rose to become one of the most effective special forces units in all of NAVSPECWAR, quickly outpacing their Spartan II Class III brethren and rivaling groups like Herald, Gentry, Noble, and even original Class I SPARTAN-IIs, including the clandestine group Spartan Black and the elite Gray TeamGray Team.
With their abilities and effectiveness magnified by their new systems, they continued to deploy against Covenant forces, and were able to survive tougher and tougher assignments. Serving with distinction in theatres such as Hellas, Paris IV, Draco III, and Verent, they would be deployed alongside Scarlet Team for an extended joint deployment on Sargasso in 2551. Their success continued without pause until 2552, when Crimson was deployed to Sigma Octanus IV to supplement the force of Class I SPARTAN-IIs already on the planet.
During this mission, disaster struck, and James was critically injured while retreating from a Covenant ambush. Hanging by a thread, James was shuttled to the UNSC Hopeful, and revived by the medical technicians aboard the ship. With extensive plasma burns and a variety of internal and external injuries, James was in no condition to fight, and had to be left on the ship while the rest of his team were recalled to Reach for redeployment. While his team was busy defending the Epsilon Eridani System from the enemy, James put into a recovery program, to rehabilitate him from his injuries. Pressing through the program at lightning speed, he dumbfounded the medical personnel there with his fast recovery and lighthearted attitude.
James finished the normally thirteen month program in under five months, and by early November of 2552, he was combat ready once again. Forced to remain aboard the Hopeful while it sat out the climactic Battle of Earth, he was finally redeployed near the end of the month when it was deemed safe for the hospital ship to enter the system. Reunited with his team as they assisted with the liberation of the rest of the Sol System, James was introduced to and paired with a group of Separatist special operations elites, led by the former Honor Guard Sunef ‘Mhackphistho.
Participating in the liberation of the rest of the Sol System, Crimson continued to operate under the direct oversight of Lord Hood, who had taken an interest in the team following the Battle of Voi. Continuing to operate under his personal orders throughout the rest of the Inner Colony liberations, Crimson fought with valor in theatres such as New Jerusalem and Chi Rho and the pacification of Te, Eayn, Palamok, and Balaho. Deployed as the personal team of Lord Hood, it was impossible to maintain the secrecy of the team, and their exploits during the Inner Colony liberations became widely known throughout both the military and civilian populace.
Gaining prominence, Crimson became one of HIGHCOM’s favored units, and was first in line for a mission as an advance force spearhead a full scale assault on the Brute home world of Doisac. Charged with taking down the Covenant’s planetary shields, they were deployed blind, with no support, and no chance of extraction until the mission was completed. Though the enemy force’s were projected to have been light, in reality it was a last ditch Covenant trap, and Mica-311 and a large portion of the Special Forces Elites were separated from Mica, Roger, and ‘Mhackphistho and massacred. Forced to leave them behind, the remaining survivors pushed on to the shield generator and destroyed it, completing their mission. As they attempted to exfiltrate, however, several Brute chieftains attacked them, and a vicious melee ensued. Caught with low ammo and still weighed down somewhat from his injuries on Sigma Octanus, James was unable to fend off the enemy and was killed by a gravity hammer blow to the chest.
Career Service Vitae
'(archived for use in investigation, as of January 1, 2587)
PETTY OFFICER SECOND CLASS
- FULL NAME: KIM, JAMES
- SERVICE #: S-319
- UNIT: NAVSPECWAR/ARES DETACHMENT/CRIMSON TEAM
- ENLISTMENT DATE: CLASSIFIED
- LOCATION: CLASSIFIED
- STATUS: KIA
- GENDER: M
- BIRTHPLACE: KARNAK, DRACO III
- BIRTH DATE: 2/19/2534
PLEASANT MANNERED, ENGAGING, AND COMICAL. GOOD AT MOVING STEALTHILY, AND AN EXPERT HACKER, BUT ALSO AN EXCELLENT DEMOLITIONS EXPERT AND A LOVER OF EXPLOSIVES. GOOD WITH ANYTHING THAT GOES BOOM; ROCKETS, MINES, GRENADES, IED’S, YOU NAME IT, HE LIKES IT. BIT CHATTY DURING DEPLOYMENT, AND A STEREOTYPICAL JOKER, BUT HIS HUMOR IS MORE VALUABLE FOR MORALE PURPOSES THAN IT IS DETRIMENTAL FOR IT’S DISTRACTION. PREFERS CLOSE RANGE COMBAT, AND SPECIALIZES IN ASSAULT RIFLES, SHOTGUNS, AND KNIVES WHEN NOT ACTING AS A DESIGNATED EXPLOSIVES TECHNICIAN.
CHATTER CAN BE DISTRACTING AT TIMES, AND A LITTLE UNPROFESSIONAL, THOUGH OF NO REAL SERIOUS WORRY. SOMETIMES A LITTLE TO EAGER OR IMPATIENT; HE HAS A BIT OF A TENDENCY TO CHARGE HEADLONG WITHOUT MUCH THOUGHT FOR THE ODDS.
MAKE A NOTE TO WATCH FOR SIGNS OF DEPRESSION. HE’D HARDLY SEEM TO BE THE TYPE, BUT HIS LAST PYSCHE REVIEW WAS INCONCLUSIVE AND IT IS POSSIBLE, HOWEVER UNLIKELY, THAT HIS CHEERY DISPOSITION MIGHT BE AN ACT TO HIDE HIS TROUBLES FROM HIS SQUAD.
Promotions and Decorations
|Full Name||KIM, JAMES|
|Rating||Petty Officer Second Class (POSC/E-5)|
|Unit||Former: ARES Detachment, Crimson Team|
|Born||Karnak, Lombard, Draco III|
|Occupation||Special Warfare Operator|
Strengths and Weaknesses
Quotes & conversations
- "Hey Mica, think we should call in some backup?"
- ―James, during combat
- "One fireball special coming right up!"
- ―James, after setting explosives
- "Hehehe, that blew up real good."
- ―James after detonating ordnance
- "You should've run away, dummy."
- ―James, after killing an Unggoy cowering in fear
- "It's a squid face party, and everyone's invited!"
- ―James, in the midst of combat
- "Look! Fireworks!"
- ―James, detonating an Unggoy’s methane tank
- "Hey, I didn't think turkeys could fly!"
- ―James, detonating a minefield under a group of Kig-yar
- "Your marksman ship is an inspiration to us all, Mica"
- ―James, after one of Mica’s rare misses.
- "It’s all about the lob, with grenades. That’s right. Gentle lob...violent explosion."
- ―James, throwing a grenade
- "Slice and dice, Sir"
- ―James, remarking on Roger's knife abilities during combat.
- "Incomming enemy charges"
- ―James alerting his team to inbound Covenant ordnance.
- "Another fuel rod turret. Brilliant."
- ―James, remarking on the presense of enemy defensive positions.
- "It’s the cheese that binds us."
- ―James, during downtime
- "Ok, now, this is getting serious"
- ―James, after encountering a large group of wounded marines massacred by cloaked Sangheili during an operation on Magnos Omega.
- "What’s with the names of stuff here? Did they run out of perfectly good normal words or something? "
- ―James-319, remarking on the name of the factory Alpha Omega Lambda on the planet Omega Zeta Beta.
- "Talk about a ‘’bad’’ landing."
- ―James, referring to a crashing Pelican dropship.
- "Think it’s too late to be a fighter pilot?"
- ―James, surrounded by Hunters on Pearl III.
- "Maybe we should remember to leave the ship before we destroy it next time, sir."
- ―James, while escaping a self-destructing enemy cruiser.
- "Watch the master at work"
- ―James, hacking a Covenant data port
- "Onward and upward!"
- ―James, before boarding a Covenant assault carrier.
- "Ooh look, the base has another level"
- ―James, remarking on the size of a Insurrectionist base on Hellas.
- "I don’t think URF security appreciates our work here"
- ―James, during Crimson Team's escape from an Insurreectionist base on Hellas.
- "Gravity is a harsh mistress."
- ―James, after falling from the top of a Covenant AA battery
- "Get rid of the things trying to kill us, and this ain't such a bad place."
- ―James, remarking on the appearance of Falaknuma
- "Any crash you can walk away from is a good one."
- ―James, in the aftermath of Crimson Team’s pelican dropship crashing.
- "The way these grunts are swarming, one might think we’re not welcome."
- ―James, during a deployment on Sargasso
- "Enemies go boom, sir?"
- ―James, inquring to their plan of action of Sargasso
- "Almost. Keep your space pants on."
- ―James, overloading a Covenant reactor
- "An entire planet? Full of hunters? This'll be more fun than a can of worms!"
- "An entire planet. Full of grunts? This is gonna be a blast!"
- Mica: "Ok, whose up for going straight in there and breaking everything in sight?"
- James: "Does that mean blowing stuff up?"
- Mica: "Why not."
- — James and Mica during an operation on Verent.
Xun-A146: "Are these guys for real?"
Roger: "And are you stupid?"
—James, Xun-A146, and Roger riding the gravity lift of a Covenant Assault Carrier during a joint operation on Levosia.
James: "So much for boarding undetected. I thought this was supposed to be a covert op…"
Mica: "The plan was to 'Hog rush an assault carrier. What part of that says covert op?"
James: "Hmm. Remind me why we decided against stealth."
—James and Mica, after a very destructive skirmish at the grav lift platform of an enemy ship on Levosia.
- Mica: "There's the assault carrier sir."
- James: "Are you sure, Mica? I mean, maybe there's another one around the corner."
- ―James and Mica-311 on Levosia
- James-319: "They really ought to shut the system down at night and password-protect the start-up."
- Roger-341: "And that would slow you down how long, exactly? Thirty seconds?"
- ―Exchange between Roger, and James-319 while breaching the Insurrectionist database.
- James: "Debris blocking our path here sir. We’re gonna need to plant a charge and blow our way through. And I’m not just saying that cause I love to blow stuff up."
- Roger: "Yes you are."
- ―James and Roger on Falaknuma.
Mica: "A planetary mass driver against an attack cruiser?."
Roger: "We can bloody their nose a bit, at least."
James: "We'll make em regret the day they blew up Crimson Team!"
—Roger, Mica, and James commenting on their odds during the Battle of Ballast.
- Roger: "Got that data yet?"
- James: "Yep. Not much, just a journal from some archeologist. Wonder why the brass is so hot and heavy for it?"
- Roger: "Probably just to screw with us."
- — Roger and James, after retrieving classified data.
- Roger-341: "Nothing like a little precision teamwork Crimson."
- James-319: "And that was nothing like a little precision teamwork"
- ―Roger and James during the liberation of New Jerusalem.
- James: "Whats better than a planet full of stranded Covenant?"
- Roger: "Dead Covenant"
- ―Roger and James, remarking on the liberation of Chi Rho.
- James: "An entire planet. Full of jackals? This'll be---"
- Roger: "Shut it."
- ―Roger and James
- James-319: "Hear that Rog? Someone thinks I’m excellent."
- Roger: "Well, at least that makes two of you."
- ―Roger and James.
Behind the Scenes
- James’s personality, dialogue, and elements of his skill set were influenced by RC-1262 “Scorch” from Star Wars: Republic Commando.
- Several of James’ quotes are drawn from real life phrases spoken by the author’s family and friends.
- James also parallels RC-3222 “Atin” and 1140 “Fixer” with his talents for computer hacking.
- The pictures depicting James were drawn primarily from the image gallery site Hegemony Loves Halo.
- James functions as both the demolitions and technical specialist for his team, but prefers explosive entry.
- James is more prone to specializtion than his team members, and prefers close quarters combat and explosives.
- James was regarded as one of the joker of the ARES Program, taking after his instructor Laszlo-108. .
- James along with Roger-341 and Mica-311, were some of the only members of the ARES Program to be outfitted with MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor
- James’ mother was of eastern descent, but his father was of western origins. His father decided to take his mother’s last name, but they agreed that all of their children would have westernized first names.
- Spartan II Class III
- Mark V/CQC and Mark V/MP MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor
- Scarlet Team
- Brown Team (Leonidans)
- Covert Operations Group
- Dean Jackson
- Crimson Team
- Ares Logs
- SPARTAN-II Program on Halopedia
- Office of Naval Intelligence on Halopedia
- MJOLNIR Powered Assault Armor/Mark V on Wikipedia
- ↑ A tribute to Sergeant Minh Kim, who’s likeness is used to depict James out of armor.
- ↑ This quote was inspired by an offhand remark by one of the author‘s friends.
- ↑ James‘ eastern last last name is at odds with his western first and middle names, as the result of his parent‘s agreement.
- ↑ This is a reference both to a quote spoken by RC-1262 “Scorch” and an actual phrase the author used on his first playthrough of Tip of the Spear, when first encountering Fuel Rod Shades.
- ↑ This is a reference to the absurdity of many of the planet names in the 112th Naval Squadron‘s timeline of known battles & leaves
- ↑ This is a reference to a hilarious abridged version of the Prototype, found here
- ↑ This is a reference to the fact that the author took several battles out of the 112th Naval Squadron‘s timeline of known battles & leaves and used them to fill out Crimson‘s mission roster.
- ↑ This is a reference to a favorite phrase spoken by the author during an 11 day backpacking trip in the New Mexico mountaings. Everytime the crew would stop then start again, he would say the phrase. After 11 days of it, the crew was obviously ready to beat the authors face in.