|This article, PRAETORIAN Division, was written by Grizzlei. Please do not edit this fiction without the writer's permission.|
- "Honoro quod Vallo"
- ―Motto of the PRAETORIAN Division (Latin for "To Honor and Defend")
The PRAETORIAN Division (also known as "SPARTAN Project, Generation Two" or "Special Warfare Group TWENTY") is a special operations unit of the UNSC Navy and Marine Corps. Colloquially known as the "Second Class", this 600-man division was the next generation of the successful SPARTAN-II Project led by Dr. Catherine Halsey. Unlike their older brethren, the PRAETORIAN Guards were established not to defeat a growing Insurrection, but to defend the Inner Colonies from Covenant invasions. In addition to their defensive role, they would serve as peacekeepers in post-occupation capacities, as well as guards to the UEG Chancellor during trips through frontline territories. Like other special warfare units during peacetime, the PRAETORIAN guards can only be activated and deployed on the order of the executive branch, or with permission by the Defense Secretary. There were two three-hundred man training battalions activated through the course of the training of the division, with an extremely low failure rate from candidates.
It would later form the basis of Commander Christiansen's Naval Special Warfare Group SEVEN in the mid-50's and aide in the training of further SPARTAN generations. The name "PRAETORIAN" comes from the force of the same name, established and led by the Emperors of Rome as bodyguards. Doctor Halsey also conceived this name for first generation of SPARTAN-II's. The division's insignia depicts both the seven different branches of the unit, as well as the different ratings.
- Project Administrator — Dr. Catherine Halsey MD, PhD
- Senior Instructor — CSWO Jorge Lethbridge-Stewart (S-052)
- Praefectus — Maj. James Hemsworth (P-320)
- Senior Tribuni — LT Alona Duke (P-356)
- Senior Immune — MCSWO Hakem Dubaku (P-329)
- — Headquarters Group (HQGr)
- — General Infantry Company A (GiC-A)
- — General Infantry Company B (GiC-B)
- — Special Commando Platoon (P/SCG)
- — Close Protection Group (P/CPG)
- — Divisional Intelligence and Reconnaissance Team (DIRT)
- — Training and Doctrine Development (TDD)
- — Warfighting Laboratory (P/WFLA)
- UNSC Defense Forces
- Chancellor of the United Earth Government
- UNSC Special Operations Command
- SPARTAN-II Project